Sunday, June 20, 2010

View of Vernazza


This is the completed "View of Vernazza".  (40" w x 30" h)  This was over a year in the making due to stops and starts, distractions and uncertainties.  I like the blockiness and simplicity of it.  Glad it is finally finished.  If you recall from a long ago post this was made in 7 vertical strips that were then sewn together after everything was pieced or fused.  I started out piecing it but ended up with a lot of fusing because I was getting bored with all the piecing.  Machine quilting was done after all the 7 strips were connected.  Fabrics include:  hand dyed, silks, cottons, unknown and recycled fabrics.  From the photo (courtesy of Mike and Carleen Baum's honeymoon photo), I made a full size cartoon out of lightweight fusible interfacing with the drawing done on the fusible side of the interfacing.  This was my master pattern that I then cut into the 7 strips and constructed one strip at a time.  I also did a copy of this pattern onto clear vinyl to be used as an overlay as needed to make sure things were lining up.  When all was said and done I didn't stick that close to the pattern, changes were made along the way to simplify the composition and make it easier to construct. 

10 comments:

Cate Rose said...

What a great quilt, Pat. Simply awesome!

Peggi said...

I love this!! You did a beautiful job! I love the blockiness of it! Now I want to make one, which is the sincerest form of flattery.

Libby Fife said...

That's a great piece! It looks really dimensional from my end. I can see where you would get sick of the pieceing though just as you said.

Sue Reno said...

Excellent! Love the colors, and the energy.

Jane LaFazio said...

really beautiful and I love how you interpreted the photo. FAbUloUs!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Pat....this is wonderful. The colors are so beautiful and it has the mood of the photograph. I love the sky and I love the addition of the fused pieces. Welcome to my world!

Lonci said...

Your quilts are wonderful:)

layers said...

What a beautiful quilt-- I can see the time and effort put into such a large complicated quilt with so many shapes and colors.

Trillian As said...

Wow, this quilt is wonderful.

Kathy York said...

The composition and color palette draw me in. Nice job! Hope to get to see it in person some day!