Monday, June 14, 2010

Composition changes


Which composition do you like better?  The top photo is how this piece looks right now.  This abstract was totally pieced and quilted.  After putting it back on the design wall I decided I didn't like the two strips (yellow and red) in the lower left corner that looked like they were coming out of the pale green bottle shape on the left.  By fusing a black scrap over the strips (second photo) it breaks up the awkward distracting bold strips that were coming out of the bottle.  In fact I think I will use a bigger scrap to make the strips into small squares.  I also prefer the more complex black shape that the change creates.  I may do something about that large yellow section near the center top, its asking for something but I'm not quite sure what yet. 

Even though I thought this piece was finished I can go back and make some major or minor changes by fusing on new fabric and then I will quilt over that area.  This is one of five pieces I did over another long home retreat weekend. 

With my solo show coming up in July I'm starting to panic and think I won't have enough artwork.  At last count I should have at least 25 pieces. 

4 comments:

Libby Fife said...

That seconc arrangement seems to have a little more "oomph." Almost like that black section now has weight and substance; a form all its' own if that makes sense.

Twenty five pieces sounds like plenty but I know what you mean:)

Have a good one today!

Diane Wright said...

I, too, like that you've broken it up and made it more complex.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Well that makes all of us! I agree, you made the right choice fusing on the black. You gotta love that fusing!

Laurie said...

I agree with the other women that the change was good!!