Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Follow up to Retreat Weekend


I thought I would follow up on my thoughts of my Weekend Retreat at home.  I think it was very successful, I spent three and a half days in my sewing room/studio.  I worked on my Italian Apartments and am very close to finishing, completed a Field #2 (almost) and I removed my "Cranes" from their canvas.  Telling myself I was on retreat really helped me focus, the "Do Not Disturb" sign reminded me every time I walked out the door why I was in there in the first place. 
 
Having spent that much time in the studio made me less fearful of going in there, i.e. fear of failure.  Do you ever feel like you'd just rather just not deal with the frustration of trying to be successful in what you create?  I have two quotes on my sewing room wall from the book "Art and Fear":
 
"Uncertainty is the essential, inevitable and all-pervasive companion to your desire to make art.  And tolerance for uncertainty is the prerequisite to succeeding."
 
"Art is like beginning a sentence before you know its ending.  The risks are obvious; you may never get to the end of the sentence at all--or having gotten there, you may not have said anything."
 
I just need to read these quotes once in awhile. 
 
This weekend we are going up north to the cottage so I have packed my Janome and the Apartments along with another unfinished temporarily abandoned project that I will take another look at and determine if I want to slash and re-connect.  If I do, I'll take pictures first.  Although my experience with the "Reject Reframed" was frustrating I was satisfied with the result and I did enjoy the process (some of the time) so I'm game for some more frustration. 
 
I need to find out what those Italian Apartments are called or what city they are near, I'm tired of calling that piece my "Italian Apartments". 

1 comment:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I am going to try that retreat technique of yours. Right now the next two weekends are booked already though. That is summer though.

Have fun up north. You picked a good week since the weather is supposed to be wonderful.